The mythology achéenne désigne les mythes et legends des tribus achéennes. Les Achéens (en grec ancien Akhaioí) sont l’un des premiers peuples indo-européens à avoir envahi la Greece, in the second millennium BC. J.-C., chasing the first inhabitants, the Pelasgians thanks to their military supremacy (use of the sword instead of the dagger, use of bronze).
L’Argolide devient leur fief d’où ils dominent le reste de la Grèce. Homère parle ainsi d’« Achéens » ou d’« Argiens » pour désigner l’ensemble des Greeks rassemblés devant Troy. Their main centers are the cities of Argos, Tiryns, Pylos but especially Mycenae, hence the name Mycenaean civilization for the period from the 17th to the 12th century BC. approximately AD (see the corresponding mythology in the Cultural Group). The fall of the Achaean domination is traditionally attributed to the Dorian invasion, but it is now believed that the great invasion was rather a series of small incursions, spaced out in time.
Their eponymous ancestor is Achaïos, son of Xouthos and Créüse, half-brother of Ion (eponymous ancestor of the Ionians).
According to some scholars, the term Hittite Ahhiyawa mentioned in chronicles referred to the Achaeans of the Homeric tradition.
In the North-West of Argolis, a mountainous region called "Achaia", is also held to have sheltered a flurrying development of the Achaean civilization in the cities like Sicyone, Patras, Erymanthe and more in the south, Elis and Olympia.
Achaean mythology (texts)
books on greek mythology
Comics / Illustrated:
- Mythology The Greek heroes: Helen – Theseus – Ulysses – Hercules
- Mythology The Greek gods: Athena – Hermes – Persephone – Zeus
- The Iliad – Volume 01: The apple of discord
- The Iliad – Volume 02: The War of the Gods
- The Iliad – Volume 03: The Fall of Troy
- Icarus with golden wings
- Thésé's soap operae
- Greek Mythology – The Complete
- Illustrated Greek Myths
In French :
- The Theogony, Works and Days and other poems
- Shiva and Dionysus: The Religion of Nature and Eros, From Prehistory to the Future
- Tales and Legends: The Heroes of Ancient Greece
- The twelve labors of Hercules
- The most beautiful stories of Greek mythology
- Tales and legends of Greek mythology
Only in English:
- The Song of Achilles: A Novel
- Thebes: The Forgotten City of Ancient Greece
- The Road to Eleusis: Unveiling the Secret of the Mysteries
- Mythos: The Greek Myths Retold
- Heroes: The myths of the Ancient Greek heroes retold
- The Greek Myths: The Complete and Definitive Edition
- Treasury of Greek Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Heroes & Monsters
- D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths
- The Best of the Achaeans: Concepts of the Hero in Archaic Greek Poetry