the Kuba Kingdom, or the Kuba confederation, is a state and political entity, bringing together nearly 20 Bantu peoples, which developed from different Bantu states (including the Luba, the Leele, the Pende, the Dengese and the Wongo). The Mythology Kuba deals with their rhythms and beliefs.
The kingdom is located in Zaire (DRC – congo), Kasaï-Occidental and Sankourou.
King Woto reigned over the kingdom around the 6th century AD and is also its creator according to the legend.
The Ba-Kuba reunited the kingdom during the xviie century. Legend has it that he is their hero "Woto" who is the founder of the Kingdom. He is reincarnated in the body of his sovereign successors. He is supposed to live 121 years.
Around 1630, King Shyaam in Mboul a Ngoong brought back from Bas-Congo the cultivation of corn, cassava, beans and tobacco, weaving, embroidery, new styles of blacksmithing and woodcarving.
The 93e sovereign "Shamba Bolongolongo" learned raffia weaving techniques and woodcarving with neighboring peoples before he came to the throne. He passed on his art to his people and asked a renowned artist to make a statue of him to be remembered for him and his laws. The statue (xviiie century) is considered the first of Kuba art.
Bantu Mythology Books
Comics / Illustrated:
In French :
- The King of Congo and the Sacred Monsters
- Wisdom and initiation through Fang tales, myths and legends
- Sotho Tales of Southern Africa
- Fang Tales and Legends of Gabon
- TALES AND STORIES FROM THE CONGO
- When Animals Talked in the Savannah: Tales from Kenya
- In the night Mozambique
Only in English:
- King Shaka
- Tales of East Africa: (African Folklore Book for Teens and Adults, Illustrated Stories and Literature from Africa)
- Indaba My Children
- Myths and Legends of the Bantu
- Congo Tales: Told by the People of Mbomo
- African Fables: Tales from Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe)
- Sebgugugu the Glutton: A Bantu Tale from Rwanda
- Kikuyu Mystery Revealed: Descendants of Asher, a lost tribe of Israel
- Swahili Tales: As Told By Natives Of Zanzibar