The Mythology of the Benin Delta brings together the following peoples and kingdoms of Central Africa: Edos, Kingdom of Benin, Urhobo, Isoko, Ijaw
The Edos are a West African population living in south-central Nigeria, particularly in Edo State. Depending on the sources and the context, there are multiple forms: Addo, Benim, Benin, Bini, Binis, Do, Edos, Oviedo, Ovioba, Oviobo. The Edos are among the descendants of the kingdom of Benin.
the kingdom of benin, which lasted from the xiie century before its invasion by the British Empire in 1897, was a coastal West African state dominated by the Edos, an ethnic group whose dynasty still survives today.
The extent of the Kingdom varies with the times, but a compilation of European sources from the eighteenthe century indicates that it was limited to the west by the kingdom of Ardra whose capital was Allada (located in the current republic of Benin), to the south by the sea as well as the countries of Overry and Calabar.
The Urhobo are a West African population living in southern Nigeria, Delta State. Often farmers or fishermen, they are linked to the Edo, their neighbors.
The Isoko are a West African population living in southern Nigeria, in Delta State. They are linked to the Urhobo, their neighbors.
The Ijaw are a group of peoples of West Africa, mainly present in southern Nigeria, in the delta of the Niger. At the beginning of the fifteenthe century they will migrate further west of the continent to form the Kru peoples of Côte d'Ivoire, Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
Mythology of the Benin Delta (texts)
Books on Niger-Congo mythology
Comics / Illustrated:
In French :
- The ancient kingdom of Dahomey, mores, religion, history
- Tales and legends of Benin
- water god
- There is no small quarrel
- Fulani initiation tales
- Tales and legends in Serer country
Only in English:
- Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti
- The Akan, Other Africans and The Sirius Star System
- Children of the Benin Kingdom
- Sacred Symbols of the Dogon
- Efik Moonlight Tales, Calabar Nigeria
- The Timbuktu Chronicles, 1493-1599
- Ancient West African Kingdoms
- Legend of the Walking Dead: Igbo Mythologies
- Yoruba Proverbs
- Forest of A Thousand Daemons
- Yoruba Legends (Forgotten Books)
- The Lost History of the Little People