in religion Greek ancient, the Eleusinian Mysteries were part of a mystery cult, of an esoteric nature, carried out in the temple of Demeter in Eleusis (at 20 km west of Athens). During their evolution, the Eleusinian mysteries were opened first to all Greeks, then to any man or woman, free or slave, speaking Greek.
The mystery religions Where mystery cults are cults, rituals or religions that appeared in the Greco-Roman world at varying dates, but whose greatest expansion was in the first centuries of our era, coinciding with the development of Christianity.
Mythology of the Eleusinian Mysteries (texts)
- I. Origin and history of the Eleusinian mysteries
- II. Big and Small Mysteries
- III. Personnel and mystery settlement
- IV. Insiders and their obligations
- V. The sanctuaries of Eleusis and the Sacred Way
- VI. The public festival of Eleusinies
- VII. The shows of mystical nights
- VIII. The mysteries and the other life